Thursday, May 8, 2008

We're In The Med


We passed a quiet day until late this afternoon when the energy on the ship began to pick up. We were nearing the Strait of Gibraltar. Capt. Frank had originally told us we would pass through the Strait around 5 o’clock. While we caught sight of Africa at about that time, it wasn’t until about an hour later that we actually passed through the Strait. There were a lot of different kinds of ships – mostly freighters, but some small cruise ships and a yacht or two – passing through at the same time. We spotted some small boats, and I think they were African fishermen. I have no reason to assume that, but that’s my story, and I’m stickin’ to it. I saw what I think were traps.

We couldn’t see the Rock of Gibraltar very clearly, or at least I couldn’t. Bill ventured out into the wind to take photos while I sat in the lounge on the 14th deck with about a hundred other people to watch the goings on. I shared a table with a couple from the U.S. who had passed through the Strait of Gibraltar several times, but always during the night. They had hoped they would see both Africa and Spain this time, but no luck.

Tomorrow morning at 8 o’clock, the ship will sail into Cartegena. We have a very short stay there – we have to be back on the ship by 1:30. I frankly don’t know why they bothered to stop. Nevertheless, we will get off and walk into town to see what can be seen.

Tonight we plan to start our packing since we have to have our suitcases outside our door tomorrow evening. By the way, we changed our clocks ahead at noon today for the last time. We are eight hours ahead of our friends and family in Colorado, and this is the way it will remain for our entire trip.

No comments: