Saturday, May 3, 2008

Rock and Roll

“The sea was angry that day, my friend.” – George Kostanza

Captain Frank warned us yesterday that – lo and behold - we would be sailing into the low front that he thought would head north and away from us. Oops. He said we could expect swells today in the nature of six to seven feet. Instead, according to our ship television station, the swells are 7.5 to 12 feet high.

The good news is that neither Bill nor I are the least bit seasick, at least at this point. The ship really is rocking and rolling. There are not nearly as many people out and about as there have been other days. Still, I was surprised at how many have ventured out of their rooms.

Last night we went to the first ice show of the trip. It really was very beautiful. I was impressed at how well the skaters performed, particularly given the fact that the ship was already bouncing around quite a bit. I was having trouble walking, and here they were jumping around and twirling their partners above their heads.

This morning after breakfast, we elected to just WATCH the dance lesson instead of participate. I believe this decision was a wise one, since at the end of the other two dance lessons that we took we were barely speaking. Today’s dance was the tango, and we couldn’t really envision a time when we would be out tangoing. It was fun to watch, however. Some people do quite well, and some are worse than Bill and me. There is an Asian couple who has been at all of the classes who really are quite awful, but they are a joy to watch because they are having so darn much FUN. They really are. I like watching people who are happy and enjoy everything.

Tonight is the second formal night. I will pull out my same dress that I wore to the first formal night since I didn’t think it was prudent to bring several gowns that I would then have to haul around Europe for four months. I will put a colorful scarf with it and call it a new dress! If the sea keeps rollicking like it is, there might not be many people at dinner anyway.

I’m not sure I mentioned that every day that we are at sea, we turn our clocks ahead one hour at noon. It makes the morning short, but I like that better than doing it at night because you don’t feel like you’re losing an hour of sleep. After noon today, we will be five hours ahead of our friends and family in Colorado.

No comments: