Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Hills Are Alive

Well, I admit it. The Sound of Music tour is a highlight of my European adventure. I have a good idea of who all is reading my blog, and I know just which ones of you are tittering right now. I don’t care. It was fun. It was interesting. And we got to see some of the most amazing scenery imaginable.

The tour bus is filled with Americans, and what you heard is true: you do sing along. But what the heck? It is The Sound of Music, which is one of the best musicals of all time. In addition to seeing the sights where much of the movie was shot, we also got a little tour of the city of Salzburg and a history lesson. Here is a photo of Bill and I standing in front of the lake in which Maria and the children fell. In the background you see the house that was used for the terrace shots.
The drive up into the lake area was simply beautiful. In that area we saw the field where Maria twirlingly sings the opening song. We visited the church where Maria marries the baron. I had always imagined that church to be massive, and was surprised that it really isn’t as big as some other churches we have seen. But it is one of the most beautiful churches I have ever seen. And as long as this is time for true confessions, I will admit that as we sang Edelweiss, I cried. It made me think of all the times I sang this song to my oldest granddaughter when she was a baby, and it made me miss her (hello Miss AGM), and all of my family and friends.

Since we took an early tour, we were back in Salzburg by 1:30. We walked around a bit, then had lunch at a gasthof near the Salzburg Cathedral. We ate some typical German fare (wienerschnitzel and bratwurst) and drank a couple of beers. We finished off with an amazing apfelstrudel.

After lunch we walked around the city a bit. Salzburg is a city made for strolling. It was full of people holding hands and eating ice cream cones. We watched some folk dances. We saw many people very dressed up, perhaps going to a wedding. I’m talking long dresses and tails. We also saw women in dirndls and old men wearing alpine jackets and those adorable pointy hats. The sun was shining and the temperature was perfect.

Here is another photo taken this morning from our room window.

Extras:

- For my walking friends: In all, thus far on this trip we are probably averaging 12,000 steps a day. Even days when we drive, we still manage to get as many as 9,000 or 10,000 steps. I think our big day was 22,000, and it’s typical to get between 15,000 and 18,000.

- For my dad: We stopped at a grocery store a little bit ago and I picked up some landjager. I wish I could share it with you.

- For my friends interested in energy conservation: When you step into our hotel room, in order to make the lights and air conditioner work, you put your room card in a slot that turns on the electricity. You leave the card in the slot, because when you remove the card, everything automatically turns off. Clever, huh?

- For my eccentric friends: By the elevator door, there is a big machine that polishes your shoes while you wait for the elevator to arrive. The Germans don’t like wasting time!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If I know Bill McLain, I know that he purposly wears shoes that can be polished or is kicking himself for not bringing any that can!!
Love, The FIRST Maggie

Heather said...

I love reading your blog everyday. Thank you for sharing it with the world.
I think the Sound of Music tour sounds facinating and I would definitely be singing along on that bus. Don't be ashamed. Sing out!
Have fun!
Jennie's friend Heather

Amy McClintock said...

Hi Kris,

Love reading your blog! The exploding car sign and the "feces" sausage made me laugh. When I was a kid, my mom and dad took us to the same places you went regarding the Sound of Music. Wow, did that take me back. What a magical place! Thanks for taking me along on your trip! -Amy