Tuesday, April 29, 2008

It's not getting old yet!

I woke up this morning very early (6:15) and did a three-mile walk on the jogging track. There were a few of us out there that early, and we were able to observe a beautiful sunrise while our friends and partners soundly slept. Each lap is one-fifth of a mile long, and as I came down my first straight-away, a young man was cleaning deck chairs. I said good morning, and he greeted me in return. No doubt, however, he was thinking, “This is a very short track and you’re going to pass me 15 times. Please, let’s not get this started.” I did, in fact, pass him 15 times but spoke to him no more.

Let’s talk a bit about food. The sheer amount of it is astounding. Thus far, it has also been very good. There are a couple of buffet areas where we have eaten lunch each day and breakfast yesterday. In the evening, we dine in the Carmen dining room at a table of seven people (the same folks each night). The table partner I find most interesting is a man named Tom, who appears to be about 65 or 70 years old. He lives in Salt Lake City, and is married. His wife, however, didn’t join him on this trip. When we get to Barcelona, he intends to travel around Europe for a number of weeks. I find it fascinating that his wife isn’t with him. She apparently had no interest on being on a ship for 13 days. This morning we ate breakfast in the Carmen dining room, and met new people. My favorite was a couple from Fort Worth, TX, who are getting married on May 13 in Paris. Romantic, no?

By the way, food is available someplace on the ship 24 hours a day. My personal favorite is the soft serve ice cream machine near the buffet restaurants. Chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry soft serve whenever you want it. Personally I want it very often, especially the strawberry. That’s why I walk three miles a day!

Our entertainment last night was a comic/ventriloquist who was unbelievably talented. Very funny.

For my Catholic friends and family: there is a priest on board and he offers Mass each day in Cleopatra’s Needle. Bill and I went this morning before breakfast. Funny to go to Mass in a lounge.

Our ship docks this evening at 6 p.m. in Miami.

No comments: