Sunday, April 18, 2010

Karma and Disco Balls

I think I might have slightly reversed my bad karma on Saturday, but I'm not sure.

Saturday was a really perfect day as far as the weather goes. It was sunny, in the 60s, and the winds were calm. Instead of working out in the gym, we took a long walk up on the 12th deck walking track, where five times around is a mile.

Given that the weather was so nice, we decided to play putt putt golf after lunch. It shouldn't have come as a surprise that we weren't the only ones with that idea. Still, it was fun to watch how others play on a fairly badly maintained putt putt course on a ship that is rocking back and forth. Turns out no one was very good, so I wasn't too embarrassed to play. Bill beat me by two strokes.

But here's where karma comes into play. You might remember how I unintentionally insulted the blind woman the other day. Well, just as we were finishing up the last hole, here come five or six women wearing sunglasses and carrying white canes. I kid you not. These blind women were going to play miniature golf.

What the heck, I thought. They probably couldn't play much worse than we had played. Just then, one of the women said to me, “Miss, do you think you could help us?” (Apparently word about the evil blind-hating woman hadn't reached their ears yet.) Ah ha! Here was my chance to make up for my rude behavior a few days ago. “Of course,” I said. “How can I help you?”

She said to me, “As you can see, none of us can see very well. Can you tell me if this is the first hole?”

I said, “No, as a matter of fact, it's the last hole. Would you like me to show you where the first hole is located?”

She enthusiastically said yes, that would be great. I wasn't quite sure how to proceed, so I said, “What do you want me to do? Should I hold you?”

She said, “No, I don't think so. We just met!”

Seriously. I can't make this stuff up. Anyway, I led them over to where they get their golf balls and clubs, and pointed to the first hole, and walked away as quickly as possible so that I couldn't do any harm. So I think I might have done some karma damage control.

Now, there is only one thing that is more popular on cruise ships than lobster day, and that is the 70s Disco Party. Tonight was the night.

Bill and I got a very good seat, sitting at a bar in the Royal Promenade, where the party would take place at 10:30 p.m. At about 10, they started playing disco music, and people started getting excited. One thing in particular made me laugh. A couple suddenly began dancing. Now it wasn't as though there lots of people dancing; it was only them. They were not young. I'm bad with ages, but my best guess says that during the disco era, they were not young adults that hung out in dance clubs. In 1979, they were long married, and were in the midst of car pools and coaching little league. Today, they had to be in their late 60s or early 70s. But they were having a great time, and everyone was clapping and urging them on. I just kept thinking, wouldn't their grandkids be surprised to see Gammie and Poopah out dancing their butts off to a crowd of clapping people?

Everyone is feeling pretty happy that we will be in port tomorrow. We will disembark at 8 a.m., and must be back on ship by 3:30 in the afternoon. Most people have a tour, but Bill and I will just wander, as we usually do. The port is walking distance to Santa Cruz, the largest city on Tenerife. The first thing we must do is find an ATM because we have no euros. We do have our credit cards, however.

It will be good to have our feet on solid ground for a change. It's been awhile.

2 comments:

Serenity said...

Lol

Jen said...

Kris, since Rich worked at the NYPD will you ask him if he ever worked with Kate Beckett? JK!